Friday, February 06, 2009

I'm Back

Hi! I know I've been off for a while, sorry. I have been working at getting a new job and all sorts of life stuff has been coming up. I'm back now though, so you should be getting semi-consistent posts from now on. :)

Just as a little tidbit, here's an interesting link: Military Suicide Rising. While some may say that the rate of military suicide is rising due to PTSD, I'd say there is more behind that. Obviously, I'm not a doctor, but here's my idea:

War is an awful thing. It certainly is extremely upsetting. So we are giving our military men and women - the people who are willing to give up their lives for us, we give them SSRIs and other drugs that deal in Serotonin reuptake. The majority of these drugs has suicide as a side effect.

While my opinions are anti-war, a part of my family has been heavily involved in the military since World War II. I respect and admire them and their bravery. It is extremely upsetting to me that we are allowing people who are willing to die for us and our country drugs that could make them kill themselves.

What do you think?

2 comments:

D Bunker said...

Glad you're back. Hope you like your new job.

It's a disturbing observation that the US hasn't actually Won a war since we changed the name of the War Dept to the Dept of Defense.

And that part of the equation has to be affecting our soldiers attitude for the worse. The last administration had no intention of winning this war. They shouldn't have started it.

And with the grinding day to day reality over there of being In a no win situation, for 3 and 4 tours, ...... it's no wonder they're handing out pills, ..... which make a bad situation worse.

Troops are not disposables. Let them win, or don't send them in.

Julia said...

I agree. I'd rather the "don't send them in" part would be applied more. There are so many conflicts that could be handled without the death and violence of war. Of course, as I type this I am wearing a t-shirt with a John Lennon quote on it "Declare Peace". This is what he stated should be done about the Vietnam War and I feel it's just as important today as it was then.