Sunday, June 18, 2006

Child drugging for pharmaceutical profit

This news article says that children in the lower income areas of Sidney Australia are being targeting for diagnosis of ADHD and subsequent drugging with Ritalin. This is to the benefits of pharmaceutical companies in Australia - where there is the highest amount of diagnosis and drugging for ADHD.
One young man Antoni Stovak, 23, was diagnosed with the disorder as a teenager and now works to raise awareness of non-medicated treatments. This is what he has to say about his experience on ADHD drugs:

"I was put on dexamphetamine (Ritalin) and was basically in a fog. I didn't eat, I didn't sleep, I was gloomy and depressed and as soon as I came off it the effects were immediate," he said.

Make sure you check out all the pros and cons of psychiatric drugs before you or your child get put into a fog of depression.

No comments: